Zambia’s weather in general
Zambia is situated in the tropics and receives good rainfall. It has a dry season from May to the end of October and a wet season from November to April. At this time many areas become inaccessible and most camps in Kafue, Lower Zambezi and more remote parks close down. The Mfue sector of South Luangwa is accessible year-round. The further north, the earlier the rains arrive and the later they leave. Eastern and higher areas generally receive more rain than western and lowland areas. The dry season is divided into the cool dry season (May to August) and the hot dry season (September and October).
Dry season – May to October – Winter
There is little to no rainfall during the entire winter and humidity is very low. Wildlife will congregate around waterholes when other water resources become scarce.
- May – This is the end of summer. Temperatures are relatively cool, typically 12°C/52°F in the morning and 25°C/77°F in the afternoon. The nighttime temperatures start to drop. The rain is almost gone.
- June, July & August – The average morning temperature is 10°C/50°F. So it is advised to bring warm winter clothing for the cold morning game drives in open vehicles. Afternoons will be more pleasant with temperatures around 23°C/73°F. South Luangwa, Lower Zambezi and other parks at lower altitude will be hotter.
- September & October – The heat gradually builds and the first rains bring relief from very dry conditions. Daytime temperatures will be around 29°C/84°F in September and 31°C/88°F in October, which is the hottest month. In the lower-lying parks, temperatures often peak at over 40°C/104°F and the rising humidity can make it uncomfortably hot.
Wet season – November to April – Summer
- November – This month is unpredictable and it starts raining some afternoons. Temperatures are between 18°C/64°F in the morning and 29°C/84°F in the afternoon.
- December, January & February & March – These are the wettest months, characterized by torrential downpours in the afternoon. Afternoon temperatures are around 26°C/78°F and the humidity is high.